This is part of a sermon by John Piper titled ‘All Things Were Created Through Him and For Him‘. The focus of this part of the message is on Colossians 1:14-20 in which Dr. Piper begins to number and list the fifteen statements used by Paul to extol Jesus.
- In Him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins
- He is the image of the invisible God
- He is the firstborn of all creation
- By Him all things were created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, weather thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities
- All things were created through Him
- All things were created for Him
- He is before all things
- In Him all things hold together
- He is the head of the body, the church
- He is the beginning
- He is the first born from the dead
- In everything He is preeminent
- In Him the fullness of God was pleased to dwell
- He reconciles all things to Himself weather on earth or in heaven
- He makes peace by the blood of His cross
This is probably the most dense, concentrated acclamation of the Son of God in all the Bible and I commend you to memorize it.
If any person or any power or any wisdom or any love awakens your admiration or your amazement or your joy let it be the greatest person and the greatest wisdom and the greatest love and the greatest power — Jesus Christ.
Everybody…is moved at some time or other to be admiring or amazed about somebody or something. You all have capacities for amazement and admiration and love. Memorize those 15 things about Jesus so that your heart will rise with affections for Him that correspond in some measure to the worth that He has as our treasure.
We naturally get amazed at television or movies or bridge collapses or great natural phenomena. We do not by nature feel amazement at the most amazing reality in the universe which was just described to you. That means we have to pray, we have to meditate, we have to deny ourselves, we have to plea for new hearts.